local history

Knowlesville used to have its own high school

Posted 2 June 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

KNOWLESVILLE – In this post card from around 1910 we see the Knowlesville High School.

This two-story building with a four-story tower was built in 1887. It was used for educational purposes until 1956 when it was centralized into the Medina system.

However, years prior to this high school students were either shifted to Albion or Medina. This brick structure remains today for residential uses.

Trestle was a landmark over the Oak Orchard

Posted 30 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

WATERPORT – In this photo taken from the high bluff on Oak Orchard River in the mid-1890s, we see the former R.R. Trestle at Waterport.

At the time this stood over the mill pond for Clark’s Mill, which shows in the distance.

A road off of Park Avenue crossed over by the mill up to Clark Mills Road.

The bridge for this is also seen in the distance to the left of the mill.

The trestle was torn down in 1995. Click here to see photos of the dismantling of that landmark.

Steam engine, concrete mixing plant used for canal enlarging in 1910

Posted 29 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

HOLLEY – In this picture from December 1910 we see a temporary concrete mixing plant east of Holley.

It would have been used when the canal was last enlarged. Note a steam engine in the right side of the picture. Power poles in the background are that of the B. L. & R. trolley system which ran from 1908 to 1931 through Orleans County.

Oak Orchard inspired an artist more than a century ago

Posted 28 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

This snapshot from the 1890s shows an unidentified artist working on a landscape painting along the marshes of Oak Orchard River.

He is seated in a row boat wearing a velvet suit consisting of knickers, vest and coat. This is topped off with a beret. He also appears to be smoking a pipe while sketching.

A canvas appears in the foreground. The case supported on his lap contains tubes of paint and brushes.

Fire broke out at Albion school in 1913

Posted 27 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

ALBION – Early on the morning of May 8, 1913, a fire broke out on the fourth floor of the Albion High School on East Academy Street.

As we see in this photo, extensive damage was caused by a Bunsen burner which had been left on overnight in the chemistry lab. Albion firemen are seen in this picture putting out the fire.

The high school was built in 1906. After a new high school was built on East Avenue in 1932, the older building became the Albion Grammar School. This fine Medina Sandstone structure remains today as an apartment building for senior citizens with the first floor used for the Meals on Wheels and Nutri-fair programs.

In Albion, statue of Mary is WWII memorial

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 26 May 2014 at 12:00 am

Photos by Tom Rivers

The statue of Mary on the sandstone base with a bronze plaque is a memorial for Orleans County residents who died in World War II. That statue is located in front of the Catholic rectory at the corner of Main and West Park streets.

ALBION – She has stood at the corner of Main and West Park streets for nearly seven decades, but most people may not realize the statue of Mary is part of a World War II Memorial.

The statue stands on a sandstone base with a bronze plaque that declares “For God and Country: In sacred memory of our soldiers and sailors who made the supreme sacrifice.”

The memorial was dedicated on May 25, 1947. It includes a verse from John 15:13:

“Greater love than this no one has, than one lay down his life for his friends.”

The back of the statue in the lower left corner bears the name Kaletta Studios, St. Louis, Missouri. It is marked as number 480 from 1947.

Stone memorial by middle school honored central Orleans vets in 1950

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 26 May 2014 at 12:00 am

Photos by Tom Rivers – Phil Warne, a past commander for the American Legion in Albion, led the Memorial Day service in Albion in front of the middle school.

ALBION – The circular stone structure that serves as a flag holder and speaking platform in front of the Albion Middle School is actually a memorial that was erected in 1950 by the American Legion Sheret Post in Albion.

The memorial is dedicated to all veterans – “Heroes” – in World Wars from the central Orleans towns of Barre, Albion, Gaines and Carlton. It was built back when the middle school was the high school.

I didn’t realize it was a memorial until today. There is also a monument in front of that memorial to Vietnam Veterans from the community.

Waterport produce business also offered “Good Coal”

Posted 25 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

WATERPORT – In this picture from a photographic post card we see a view of the railroad crossing at Waterport in 1911.

The produce business of George D. Thompson is most prominent. Painted in large letters we see “Apples, Beans and Wheat Wholesale & Commission.” On the side of the building facing the tracks is painted: “The Home of Good Coal.”

In the center of our photo is a flagman’s shanty at this RR crossing with two men sitting by it.

Historic marker notes “Paul Revere of Ridge Road”

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 25 May 2014 at 12:00 am

Photo and article by Tom Rivers

GAINES – John Proctor is often referred to by historians as the Paul Revere of Ridge Road. On a December night in 1813, he rode by horseback on the Ridge from Gaines to Clarkson to warn of the approach of British and the Indians after the burning of Lewiston.

The following morning he joined a regiment that was headed to Lewiston. The regiment would capture the enemy quartered at Molyneaux Tavern. A historical marker on a large stone shares the story of Proctor. The stone is on the south side of Ridge Road, a few houses west of the Route 98 intersection.

The marker was put up in 1935 by the State Education Department and the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is one of a series of historical markers along Ridge Road that were erected in the 1920s and ’30s.

The Proctor marker also notes that the site was once a primitive log cabin owned by Elijah Downer. When Gov. DeWitt Clinton passed through in 1810, looking at land for a possible Erie Canal, he stopped at the cabin for breakfast.

Today, Justin and Adrienne Kirby and their three children make their home on the property.

Here are links to previous articles about the historic markers along the Ridge:

There’s a George Washington Monument in Orleans County

The Transit Line: Where the Holland Purchase begins

Oldest building in Orleans stands in Ridgeway on 104

Creek naming honors female pioneer in Gaines

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 24 May 2014 at 12:00 am

Photos by Tom Rivers – Dan Capurso unveils the sign for Gilbert Creek by Ridge Road in the town of Gaines.

The creek runs about 6.5 miles from near Brown Road northeast to Marsh Creek in Carlton.

GAINES – A painted wooden sign was unveiled at about noon today. “Gilbert Creek” is on the sign by Ridge Road, next to the Gaines Carlton Community Church.

The sign and the name of the creek honors a woman from more than 200 years ago, the first settler on Ridge Road in Orleans County. Elizabeth Gilbert and her husband built their cabin in 1807. Mr. Gilbert died soon after they settled, and his wife was lef to raise a family and make a life in the wilderness of the Niagara frontier.

State Sen. George Maziarz, right, addresses a group on the lawn next to the Gaines Carlton Community Church near the spot where the Gilbert family built a cabin more than 200 years ago.

She stayed for two years with her children, and helped other settlers. She let them stay in her cabin while she helped build a cabin for at least one pioneer family. She used her oxen to haul wagon loads of timber for the cabin.

Al Capurso admires the grit of the pioneer settlers in Orleans County. In early 2013 he and his son Kenny noticed a creek along Brown Road in Gaines. They followed its path across Ridge Road and to Carlton. It flows 6.5 miles northeast and connects with Marsh Creek about 2.4 miles south of Lake Ontario.

Capurso did some research and realized the stream that starts by Brown Road didn’t have a name. He wanted the waterway to honor Elizabeth Gilbert. It took a year of lining up local support, and gaining permission from the federal Bureau of Geographic Names. The agency on April 10 formally approved the naming request.

Al Capurso and his son Dan performed four songs today in honor of Elizabeth Gilbert and the pioneer settlers of Orleans County.

“Today, we dedicate this creek to the pioneering efforts and spirit of Elizabeth Gilbert, the Gilbert family and the town of Gaines,” Capurso said at a ceremony on the church lawn next to the creek.

Capurso not only did the research and pressed the government officials for the creek naming, he also made the sign. He thinks it blends in with the historic corridor on Ridge Road. The Cobblestone Society Museum is down the road to the west.

Capurso and his family were praised by town, county and state officials for their efforts.

“There is no better title than a citizen who loves his community, who respects his community,” said State Sen. George Maziarz.

The state senator admitted he had never heard of the federal Bureau of Geographic Names until Capurso launched his effort. Maziarz commended him for working through the bureaucracy to get the creek named for one of the county’s pioneers.

Town Historian Delia Robinson said pioneers often don’t get much appreciation from today’s residents, with women even getting less attention from historians. She noted the settlers looked for land that was “high and dry” and near water so they had the resource readily available for cooking and cleaning.

“When the settlers came it was just wilderness,” Robinson said. “There were no neighbors, there was no village, there were no stores.”

Town Supervisor Carol Culhane, Cobblestone Museum Co-Director Matt Ballard and County Legislator Fred Miller all spoke at the dedication.

“It’s wonderful to have someone from the community do this kind of effort,” Miller said. “It adds another attribute that people can look at when they come see the Cobblestone Museum.”

Medina installs 11 interpretive panels about community history

Posted 23 May 2014 at 12:00 am

Press release, Orleans Renaissance Group

MEDINA – Almost one year later, Medina’s efforts to install interpretive signage throughout the Downtown Historic District are complete.

Jimmy Swain of The Print Shop in Medina installed the finished panels today, and the results are remarkable.

“This is one of the best projects I have ever been associated with,” said Chris Busch who headed up the project with the help of Ken Daluisio, owner of The Print Shop.  “It’s been an absolute success and I think folks will be quite pleased with how they look – and they look simply fantastic.”

There are 11 signs placed throughout the district, each telling a chapter of Medina’s fascinating history with old photographs and written text. Busch said these signs will be invaluable to Medina’s tourism efforts.

“We see more and more visitors wandering Main Street, snapping photos and marveling at the architecture,” he said. “These panels will provide a much more meaningful experience for them and will keep visitors lingering in our business district.”

The sign bases were purchased through The Print Shop, which also donated the actual panels. Research, design and panel layout was done by Busch. The Medina DPW installed the bases.

Sponsors of the project include the Medina Business Association, Gabrielle and Andina Barone, Andrew Meier, ORG, Dave and Gail Miller, Hartway Motors, Rita Zambito/Zambito Realty, Medina Sandstone Trust, Marcia Tuohey, Chris and Cynthia Busch, and the Medina Fire Department.

Legion Post once used to rent wagons and carriages

Posted 23 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

MEDINA – In 1914, when our picture was taken, William Gallagher of Medina owned this stone building where he rented wagons and carriages.

Likewise he did moving for hire as the signage indicates “moving vans.” This building which backs up to the canal now serves as the Butts-Clark American Legion Post in Medina.

Former newspaper in Albion dressed up for parade

Posted 21 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

ALBION – Peter A. Dragon established the Albion Advertiser in 1929. Here we see his car in the early 1930s when it was decorated for a parade.

We note the signage which states: “1st in News, Pictures, Circulation, Display Ads and Classified Ads.” The phone number was simply 1.

Under the Albion Advertiser sign it states: “Orleans County’s Finest and Best Newspaper.”

Editor’s note: The Albion Advertiser, a weekly newspaper, ceased publication in May 2013.

Clarendon native was world-renowned naturalist

Posted 19 May 2014 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian

CLARENDON – One of Clarendon’s most famous citizens was Carl E. Akeley, a noted taxidermist, naturalist, sculptor and author.

Here he is in his studio shortly before he died in 1926.

The Clarendon Historical Society will celebrate the 150th anniversary of his birth on May 21 at 7 p.m. at the Clarendon Rec Hall.

Special guest speaker will be Jay Kirk, author of “Kingdom Under Glass.”

He will present a program on Akeley, who is known for creating African Hall at New York’s Museum of Natural History.

A historic marker on Hinds Road notes where Akeley was born and grew up.

An early example of his work dating to around 1880, a stuff fox, is on display at the Cobblestone Museum in Childs.