Yates councilman thankful for recent progress in community
My name is John Riggi and I am running for re-election as Yates Town Councilman.
The last four years have been a very busy and critical time for the Town of Yates and I’m extremely grateful to have served the constituents of Yates for these past four years. I am committed to serving the Town of Yates for the next four years as I believe that we are at a crossroads that needs to be effectively managed to ensure the successful future of our Town.
The platform I ran on 2016 was one that clearly stated the Vision for Yates for 2016 and moving forward. I am proud to communicate positive, forward movement in each of the following platform planks:
1. Farming – Continued support of our farming legacy via update of the Western Orleans Comprehensive Plan.
2. Lakefront – Protection of public lakefront access through submission and receipt of New York State 2017 flood grant monies. These funds are strengthening shorelines at the Town Park (foot of Morrison Road), the foot of Marshall Road and the foot of Countyline Road. Additionally, the Local Waterfront Redevelopment Plan (LWRP) is in final stages of development. LWRP funds will significantly improve public access to the lakefront as well as Johnson’s Creek.
3. Lyndonville Village Center – Expansion of the Local Waterfront Redevelopment Plan (LWRP) area to include Johnson’s Creek.
4. Parklands – The State (REDI Commission) has awarded the Town of Yates $2.5 million for expansion of the Town Park that will include annexation of NYSEG land contiguous to the Town Park, lakeshore protection of the annexed parcel as well as preservation and protection of the Federally registered wetland within the annexed portion of the Town Park.
5. Unique Wildlife – Our ongoing and successful fight to preserve our local environment has ensured a safe haven for local and migrating species of wildlife.
6. The People of the Town of Yates – Additionally, our ongoing and successful fight to preserve our local environment has ensured the quality of life, health and well-being of our residents.
As we move forward into 2020, we are utilizing our unique building blocks to not only consistently and prudently develop economic opportunities within the Town of Yates, but to leverage economic development opportunities throughout Western New York to the benefit of our Town.
I humbly ask for your vote for Town Councilman on Election Day on Nov. 5.
John B. Riggi
Town of Yates