Workers were busy at coal yard along the canal in 1900
By Bill Lattin, Orleans County Historian
ALBION – In this photo circa 1900 we see John H. Howard’s coal yard, which was located on North Clinton Street and the Erie Canal in Albion.
Pictured at left is a hack which would have taken people from the R.R. Depot to various places in town. This taxi service was a sideline business for John Howard.
Another team of horses is hitched to a coal wagon just coming out of the scale house. Coal was delivered to this site from boats plying the canal.