Windmill used to pump water to feed faucets in cemetery
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – In this color post card, which was mailed in May 1909, we see the Tower or Soldiers and Sailors Monument at Mount Albion Cemetery.
At that time there was a fountain over the cistern west of the tower, which shows here in the foreground.
When the water works was first put in, a windmill pumped water from a well up to the cistern for then gravity fed water to the various faucets throughout the cemetery.
In 1906 the windmill was replaced with a pumphouse over the well where a gasoline engine then pumped up the cistern.
Historian to lead tours of cemetery on Sundays in August
Editor’s Note: Tours of Mount Albion will take place every Sunday evening in August at 6 p.m. The tours begin at the main gate and will be led by Bill Lattin, the county historian.