Ward House was welcomed into Cobblestone Museum in 1977
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
CHILDS – In this picture from the summer of 1977 we see the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Ward House at the Cobblestone Museum in Childs.
Cobblestone Society board members, along with Congressman John LaFalce, appear behind the ribbon. In front, from left, include: Bernard Lynch, Evelyn Lyman, Congressman LaFalce (who is about to cut the ribbon), Cary H. Lattin, and Cary W. Lattin, the museum director.
In back, from left, include: Ward Wilson, Donna Rodden, Bea Davis, Donald Ross, George Wolfe, Josephine Howard and Alma Starkweather. A couple other people are in the picture but their faces do not show.
The cobblestone Ward House was first used as a church parsonage and later owned briefly in the 1860s by Horace Greeley, an influential newspaper editor who opposed slavery and ran for president in 1872.