Tower was used to dry hoses for firefighters
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – This was the Albion Fire Department Hose Tower which stood on the east side of Platt Street across from the fire station.
It was built in 1880 at a cost of $900 and used to dry out wet fire hoses.
One end of the hose was hooked to a pulley and pulled up so as to stretch it out and drain excess water.
A stove was fired up to help dry the wet hose, hence the chimney.
Once dried out it could be reeled up ready for the next fire.
This tower was torn down in 1959 soon after our photo was taken with Bill Sharp standing in the doorway.