Find us on Facebook

The House of Refuge in Albion

Posted 17 September 2013 at 12:00 am

By Bill Lattin, Orleans County Historian

ALBION – This photo post card, published in the second decade of the 20th century, shows the original administration building at the Western House of Refuge in Albion.

It was built in 1892 and demolished in the 1930s with the expansion of the New York State Training School, now the Albion Correctional Facility, which is the state’s largest prison for women inmates.