Orleans County pioneers
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – This picture speaks for itself. The people seen here were members of the Orleans County Pioneer Association, which was organized June 25, 1859. It was the county’s first historical organization.
Our photo was taken on Main Street in Albion from the second floor of Geo. Hopkins’ Studio. The building with the Nicholson sign at right is currently Peter Snell Realtors at 107 North Main St.
The other two wooden buildings were torn down around 1890 with the Briggs building now located in the middle. J.H. Hallenbake’s Hardware was replaced with the Waterman building which later was damaged in a fire and then torn down. That site is now Waterman Park.