G.D. Fowler Store in Carlton
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
CARLTON – This picture was taken in September 1888 at the Two Bridges in the Town of Carlton. It shows the delivery wagon for the country store in the background. Stenciled on the wagon is advertising including “General Merchandise” and “G.D. Fowler Carlton, NY.”
Country stores often ran a delivery service to rural people living on the back roads years ago, perhaps going over the route twice a week. A housewife could order something from the grocer and it would be delivered the next time around.
We notice the horse pictured here is wearing a fly net to keep the horse flies from landing on its body. The Fowler store is currently Narby’s Superette and Tackle at the Bridges.