Union for canal workers approves 10-year labor agreement
Press Release, CSEA
ALBANY – CSEA members today decisively ratified a new 10-year collective bargaining agreement for more than 350 CSEA-represented employees of the New York State Canal Corporation.
The 10-year contract runs retroactively from July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2022.
This agreement, which covers workers who maintain and operate the New York State Canal System, includes:
• raises for the last seven years;
• a lump sum bonus;
• added service award payment for 20 years of service;
• a new leave exchange program to be applied towards health insurance premiums;
• a new provision for prescription safety glasses;
• an increased safety boot allowance;
• improvements for seasonal employees; and
• the same dental, vision, and health insurance benefits with incremental increases in employee premium contributions over the last five years of the agreement.
“This agreement is fair to the state and canal workers, and I commend all of the CSEA negotiating team members for their hard work,” said CSEA President Danny Donohue.
The agreement passed the membership by a more than 2-to-1 margin with 186 voting yes, and 85 voting no. One vote was invalid.