Sheriff’s Office identifies victim in fatal fire at Shelby

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 24 June 2022 at 3:50 pm

Photo by Tom Rivers: Firefighters are on the roof at 10307 Freeman Rd., trying to ventilate a house filled with smoke on Tuesday afternoon.

SHELBY – The Orleans County Sheriff’s Office has identified the victim of a fire on Tuesday afternoon in Shelby.

Michael Cherry, 22, was found dead in the upstairs of the house he shared with his father, aunt, uncle and brother, said Chief Deputy Rob Reimer of the Orleans County Sheriff’s Office.

Cherry was disabled and sometimes used a wheelchair and a cane. He was in his bedroom upstairs, Reimer said.

Firefighters were dispatched to 10307 Freeman Rd. at about 3:45 p.m. The fire started in the kitchen and was caused by cooking in close proximity to combustible items, said Justin Niederhofer, deputy director of the Orleans County Emergency Management Office.

Michael’s brother Daniel suffered smoke inhalation and other serious injuries. He was taken by Mercy Flight helicopter to the Erie County Medical Center. He attempted to help his brother get out of the house, Reimer said.