Several groups will be part of canal cleanup this weekend
Several groups will be part of the annual “Canal Clean Sweep” this weekend in Orleans County. The state-wide effort is promoted by the NYS Canal Corp. and Parks & Trails NY. The annual event happens near Earth Day, which is actually today.
There will be cleanup efforts in Holley, Albion, Knowlesville and Medina this weekend for the 14th annual Canal Clean Sweep.
This weekend there will be cleanup events at the following locations in Orleans County:
• ALBION – The Lockstone, a business planned on Natasha Wasuck at 160 North Main St., is sponsoring a cleanup at 10 a.m. on Sunday. Volunteers are asked to show up at the Lockstone and then head east and west to pick up trash along the canal.
• HOLLEY – On Saturday, the Masonic Lodge No. 713 in Kendall will start at 9 a.m. at the Holley Canal Park on East Avenue.
Masons will clean the towpath on both sides of the canal from the Canal Park eastward to Countyline Road.
• RIDGEWAY – Boy Scouts from Troop 35 and Cub Scouts from Troop 35 will meet at the Canal Culvert at 9 a.m. Saturday on Culvert Road to pick up garbage in the culvert tunnel and also up on the towpath.
• MEDINA – On Saturday, the Sons of the American Legion will start at 9 a.m. at the Legion Post on North Main Street. They will pick up trash from the Post, heading east to the Bates Road canal launch ramp. The Sons will also work on landscaping at Glenwood Avenue bridge over the Erie Canal.
• MEDINA – The Medina Lions Club also will do its annual environmental cleanup day on May 27, starting at Lions Park on North Gravel Road (Route 63) at 9 a.m.
• MIDDLEPORT – Volunteers are welcome Saturday beginning at 9:30 a.m. at the Carmen Bridge parking area and then head west to clean to the former Peet Street parking area.
For more on Canal Clean Sweep, click here.