Several Canal Cleanup events planned in Orleans County
There are several canal cleanup events in scheduled in Orleans County. Some are scheduled as part of the Canal Clean Sweep on the Earth Day weekend of April 22-24 and others are in early May.
About 120 of the cleanup events are planned along the canal system for the 17th annual Canal Clean Sweep. Click here for more information.
The local events include:
• Medina Rotary Club will be cleaning up trash and debris on the north side of the canal from Fruit Avenue bridge to Marshall Road bridge from 9 to 11 a.m. on April 23.
• Medina Lions Club will be doing its Environmental Cleanup Day from 9 to 11:30 a.m. on May 7. Volunteers will meet at the Canal Lift bridge on North Gravel Road and then be assigned areas along the canal and village public areas to clean up trash and spread mulch.
• Medina IMPACT Erie Canal Clean Sweep will be from noon to 2 p.m. on April 22. Medina IMPACT Club students will do the service project in recognition of Earth Day. Students will begin at the high school and then walk to the gazebo located in the Erie Canal Basin.
• Tinsel in Albion is coordinating a clean sweep from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on April 23. Meet at Tinsel at 160 N. Main St. and pick parts of the village to pick up litter.
• The Doherty family and friends will focus on litter near the Brown Street bridge in Albion from 9 to 11 a.m. on April 23.
• The Holley Rotary Club and Holley Interact Club from 8 a.m. to noon on April 30 will gather with other community members to walk the canal the length that spans the school district. They will cover from the public boat launch on County Line Rd at Route 31 to Transit Rd. Teams will work from bridge to bridge picking up trash. If there are enough volunteers, they will try to cover the entire village for clean up as well. Volunteers are meeting at the Holley High School parking lot and disperse from there.