Service for Kendall mother, son will be Saturday
The First Baptist Church in Albion will host calling hours and a funeral on Saturday (April 28) for Joan Gilman and her son Richard “RJ” Gilman Jr.
The mother and son were found deceased on Wednesday in a bedroom at their home on Center Road. The electricity had been turned off recently.
They likely died from carbon monoxide poisoning from fumes from a generator or a heater that used propane gas, the Orleans County Sheriff’s Office said. The office is continuing to investigate.
Calling hours are from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday at the church at the corner of West Park and Liberty streets in Albion. A service will follow at 4 p.m. on Saturday.
Christopher Mitchell Funeral Homes is handling arrangements for Joan and RJ Gilman. An obituary about Joan describes her as an avid reader, who loved to go bowling and was someone that all the children in the family could come to if they needed a reliable confidant. She was truly devoted to her family, especially to her son.
RJ, a ninth-grader at Kendall, was in the school chorus and performed in “Seussical the Musical” at Kendall. He enjoyed fishing, video games, hanging with his cousins and collecting Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic The Gathering cards.
“RJ had a fabulous, twisted sense of humor!” according to his obituary.
A GoFundMe has been established to assist the family. Click here for more information.