Rollover accident shuts down 31 in Murray for several hours

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 23 April 2014 at 6:05 pm

Albion man hospitalized after crash near Hulberton Road

Photos by Tom Rivers – A tractor-trailer rolled over and came to a rest in the front lawn of Roy and Marlene Kenyon at 16305 Route 31.

Press release, Orleans County Sheriff Scott Hess

MURRAY – An Albion man is hospitalized following a two-vehicle crash this morning involving his car and an 18-wheeled tractor-trailer truck.

The incident occurred at about 10:15 a.m. at the intersection of State Route 31 and Hulberton Road in the town of Murray.

Frank Kania IV, 18, was the sole occupant while operating a 1993 Ford Escort travelling south on Hulberton Road.  Kania failed to yield right-of-way and entered the intersection into the path of the east bound tractor-trailer truck.

The truck driver took evasive action but was unable to completely avoid striking the car. Following the collision, the truck ran off the north side of the roadway into a ditch, struck a utility pole, and over-turned on its side.

Lyons Collision from Medina is working to get the truck upright and removed from the scene.

Kania was transported by Monroe Ambulance to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester.

The driver and sole occupant of the truck is identified as Zdenek Smykal, 43, of Palatine, Ill. Smykal was not injured.  The truck is owned by Vodik Transport Inc., of Deerfield, Illinois.  The enclosed refrigerated trailer was loaded with blueberries and frozen food.  It is not yet known if the load was compromised by the crash.

In addition to the Sheriff’s Office, the incident brought a response from the Holley, Clarendon, and FHM (Fancher-Hulberton-Murray) fire departments.

State Route 31 between Hulberton and Lake roads remained closed at 5:45 p.m.

The incident remains under investigation by Deputy A.L. Jenks, assisted by Deputy K.J. Colonna, Sergeant D.W. Covis, and Investigator D.E. Foeller Jr.

A section of Route 31 between Hulberton and Lake roads has been closed since about 10:30 a.m. Crews were still at the scene at about 5:45 p.m. today.