Posters present data about local teen drug and tobacco use
Photos by Tom Rivers
The Orleans United Drug Free Communities Coalition has created several posters that present data about teen drug, alcohol and tobacco use in Orleans County.
The information was gathered in a survey of 1,450 students in grades 7-12 in Holley, Kendall, Lyndonville and Medina school districts.
The posters were created by the coalition using infographic software, Venngage. The posters will be presented at school districts, coalition meetings, community events and on billboards in the county.
The posters highlight the following data:
• In 2017, 82 percent of Orleans County youth did not use alcohol;
• In 2017, 90 percent of Orleans County youth did not use marijuana;
• In 2017, 95 percent of Orleans County youth did not smoke cigarettes;
• In 2017, 98 percent of Orleans County youth did not use prescription drugs (that weren’t prescribed to them);
• Orleans County’s five most important health concerns, according to an adult survey: 65 percent say illicit drug abuse; 40 percent say prescription drug abuse; 40 percent say mental health issues; 33 percent say child abuse/neglect; and 24 percent say alcohol abuse.