Photo shows Medina’s Canal Basin before it was widened
Area by Waterfalls was used for hydropower
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
MEDINA – In this panoramic view from 1905, we see Oak Orchard Creek from the Erie Canal in Medina.
On the right is the Medina Waterfalls and next to it is Station No. 1 of the A.L. Swett Electric Light and Power Company.
This photo was taken before the present canal basin was enlarged as we know it. Oak Orchard Creek below the Falls is a reservoir for electric generation known as Glenwood Lake. In this picture we are looking at the southern end of Glenwood.