Pennysaver wins 12 design awards at NY competition
ALBION – The Lake Country Pennysaver won several awards in the annual graphics competition through the Free Community Papers of New York.
The association held its annual meeting in Saratoga Springs, and the Lake Country Pennysaver won 12 awards for ad designs. That includes a second place in general excellence and a second place for a specialty publication – the annual Community Directory. The awards were presented on April 8.
The Pennysaver is part of Lake Country Media, which also owns and runs the Orleans Hub. The office is at 170 North Main St., Albion.
Karen Sawicz serves a publisher of both operations. She praised the graphic designers and sales staff for working so well together, and for turning around the ads so quickly.
Marissa Olles of Albion serves as art director. The St. Bonaventure graduate joined the Pennysaver as a part-time proofreader in 2005 and worked her way up to art director.
“We’re proud of how efficient we are,” she said about the staff.
The Pennysaver staff enjoys working with so many small business owners, helping them with ads and promotions to boost their businesses, Olles said.
“We are in Orleans County,” Olles said. “You don’t have to go into the city for professional design services.”
Privitera of Le Roy said she and the staff research the latest trends in layout, with color schemes and photographs.
“We have a real clean, professional and modern look to our ads,” she said. “Everything looks cohesive right down to the last detail.”
Amy Fox also works as a graphic designer for the Pennysaver and Orleans Hub.
The Pennysaver is celebrating its 70th year this year. Sawicz’s parents, Vincent and Gwen St. John, owned the Pennysaver beginning in 1960.
The Pennysaver endured the prolonged power outage last month and still met the Thursday layout deadline. Sawicz said the Pennysaver has had continuous publication every week, except during the Blizzard of ’77.
The Pennysaver won awards in the following categroies:
• General Excellence, Division A up to 15% Editorial content – SECOND PLACE – March 27 and April 3 Pennysavers were submitted in their entirety
• Advertising Design Contest – FIRST PLACE AND SECOND PLACE – ads submitted by Jayme Privitera
• Best Restaurant Ad: B&W – SECOND PLACE – The Basket Factory
• Best Single Ad: B&W up to 12″ in length – FIRST PLACE – Seever Construction
• Best Single Ad: Color over 12″ in length – FIRST PLACE – Sunrise Door
• Best Single Ad: Color over 12″ in length – SECOND PLACE – KFC
• Best Institutional Ad: B&W – FIRST PLACE – Pat’s Long Bridge Repair
• Best Institutional Ad: B&W – SECOND PLACE – B&L Landscape
• Best Single Ad – Local Agency Design – FIRST PLACE – Elderwood by Gelia Media
• Separate Publication, 8.5″x12″ mag standard or ltwt. newsprint – SECOND PLACE – Community Directory
• Community/Customer Service – Good Will – SECOND PLACE – Pet of the Week campaign