Find us on Facebook

Outhouses at Cobblestone Museum get moment of glory

Posted 18 May 2018 at 9:19 am

Retired historian leads tour – ‘Here We Go Again’

Photo by Ginny Kropf: Cobblestone Museum director Doug Farley, left, and former director Bill Lattin stand by an outhouse at the Cobblestone Museum complex at Childs. This outhouse once belonged to Rufus Bullock, governor of Georgia during the Reconstruction after the Civil War. Outhouses will be the focus of a tour this evening called “Here We Go Again,” which Lattin will narrate.

By Ginny Kropf, correspondent

CHILDS – They may not seem like a source of entertainment, but the outhouses at the Cobblestone Society Museum have proven to have a lot of history.

This evening the Cobblestone Society will present a tour called “Here We Go Again,” featuring the outhouses of the Cobblestone complex’s buildings.

In fact, one could say they’re “doing number two,” as this is the second year to have such a tour, after last year’s was a huge success.

Bill Lattin, former Cobblestone director for 40 years and retired Orleans County historian, will lead the walking tour, which this year will include new content, including a slide presentation.

“Actually, the oldest building in the Cobblestone Museum property is an outhouse,” said Doug Farley, director of the museum. “It was built in 1830 in the Federal style and was originally located at the first bank in Orleans County, which was located at the corner of routes 279 and 104.”

Another outhouse was once located on the property of former Georgia governor Rufus Bullock, who grew up in Albion and returned after he retired.

The water closet in the lobby of the 1834 Universalist Church also was for men only. One of the outhouses on the tour is a five-seater.

The tour begins at 6 p.m. Those planning to attend are asked to respond by calling 589-9013 or e-mailing www.cobblestonemuseum.org. Click here for more information about cost.

Return to top