Orleans reports first death from Covid-19
The first person in Orleans County who died from Covid-19, the Public Health Department in Orleans County is reporting.
The person who passed away is over 65 and had been in mandatory isolation.
“This is our first confirmed death related to Covid-19 in Orleans County,” said Paul Pettit, the Public Health director. “Due to privacy issues, I will not be releasing further details about this individual. I would like to express my sincerest sympathy to the individual’s family and friends during this difficult time.”
Lynne Johnson, chairwoman of the County Legislature, offered her condolences to the friends and family of the patient.
“The nurses, physicians and others who had been involved in this person’s treatment are also grieving,” Johnson said in a statement. “I want to commend our providers and employees for the extraordinary care they provided and to let them know how proud we are of their ongoing service and commitment to all our residents during this unprecedented and difficult time.”
The state suffered 606 deaths from Covid-19 on Wednesday, bringing the state-wide total to 12,192.
“We continue to encourage social distancing, use of face coverings and for residents to stay home as much as possible, especially if you have older family members or family with underlying health conditions,” Pettit said. “If you are unwell with any symptoms, please do not have contact with our most vulnerable population. Keep in touch by phone, FaceTime, cards, and/or letters so your loved ones know they are being thought of. Ask other family or friends who are not sick or potentially exposed to check in on your loved ones and/or assist with errands.”