One man dies after boat capsizes on Lake Ontario

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 25 August 2018 at 7:09 pm

POINT BREEZE – One man in his 60s died late this morning and another need to be rescued after their 20-foot boat capsized about 9 miles off Point Breeze in Lake Ontario, the Orleans County Sheriff’s Office is reporting.

The two men left Ernst Lake Breeze Marina early in the morning. Their boat capsized after taking in water from the 5 to 7 foot high waves.

They were able to put on life preservers while they were in the water for about 2-3 hours. They were discovered by two fishermen from Ohio. Those fishermen brought the man who was alive back to Ernst Lake Breeze Marina, where he received medical attention.

The Canadian Coast Guard recovered the body of one of the man who died.

Sheriff Randy Bower said more information would be provided on Sunday. Right now the Sheriff’s Office is making family notifications.

Updated at 7:16 p.m.: Here is the press release from Sheriff Bower:

“At 11:34 this morning the Orleans County 911 Center received a call from the Coast Guard in Rochester reporting two men have been recovered in Lake Ontario about nine miles off shore. One male was in shock and able to talk, the other male was unresponsive. Patrols were then dispatched. Marine One along with two COVA Medics responded and met up with the USCG Cutter approximately five miles north of Point Breeze. Medics boarded the Cutter to administer medical attention to one of the boaters who they were unable to revive. The USCG then transported the deceased to Lake Breeze Marina.

“The second man was rescued by a private fishing vessel from Ohio and transported to Lake Breeze Marina. He was treated for exposure to the cold water and released. Both men were originally fishing approximately nine miles off shore in about 500 feet of water. At that time the vessel encountered five to seven foot waves and took on water causing the boat to sink. Both men were wearing life jackets and able to communicate with each other for a short period of time before becoming separated by the rough waters. Both men were believed to be in the water for approximately two hours before they were located by a Canadian Freighter. An investigation is ongoing by the Orleans and Niagara County Sheriff’s Offices. Names are being withheld pending family notification.

We want to thank USCG and Canadian Coast Guard, Olcott Fire Rescue Boat, COVA Ambulance, Carlton Fire Department and others who assisted.”

Sheriff Randy Bower

Return to top