Find us on Facebook

NY bridge program will fund 4 projects in Orleans

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 18 January 2017 at 1:43 pm

The state has announced funding for bridges and culverts today and four of the projects are in Orleans County.

The funding – $2,989,000 total for Orleans – includes:

• $1.045 million to Orleans County for Portage Road over Fish Creek

• $1.140 million to Orleans County for Monroe-Orleans County Line Road over East Branch Sandy Creek

• $630,000 to Orleans County for South Holley Road over a branch of Sandy Creek

• $174,000 to the town of Albion (Orleans County) for Clarendon Road over West Branch Sandy Creek

The county applied for five projects and received funding for three, Chief Administrative Officer Chuck Nesbitt said.

“We were hopeful we would get something,” he said. “But we weren’t counting on it until it was announced.”

The state will pay 100 percent of the cost for culverts, and 80 percent of the work for bridges. Nesbitt said there may be other funds available besides county dollars to cover the remaining 20 percent for the bridges.

He expects the three projects for the county to be in design phase this year, with the construction to be in 2018.

The Albion bridge is actually a culvert on Clarendon Road, near the Holley Road intersection. Michael Neidert, the highway superintendent, said he expects that culvert to be replaced this summer after school is out.

Orleans County fared better than most other counties in the Finger Lakes with the bridge and culvert projects announced today.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced $19.7 million for 23 projects in the Finger Lakes, which includes 1 in Seneca, 2 in Genesee, 5 in Livingston, 3 in Monroe, 4 in Orleans, 5 in Wayne, 1 in Wyoming, 1 in Ontario and 1 in Yates.

Nesbitt said a 10-year capital plan had the county prepared to apply for the funding.

“We can continue to move the ball forward with our capital plan,” he said.

The funds announced today are part of a $21.1 billion multi-year capital plan – BRIDGE NY – to upgrade roads, bridges, and other vital transportation infrastructure across New York State.

“Infrastructure is the key to our prosperity and through this program, we are providing funding to local governments in every corner of this state to help ensure their bridges remain reliable, resilient, and able to meet the demands of current and future generations of New Yorkers,” Cuomo said in a statement. “This is another step toward a safer, stronger and more secure New York for all.”

Return to top