Find us on Facebook

No one hurt, pets rescued in Medina fire

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 15 November 2016 at 9:20 pm
111516_catsave

Provided photo: Shelby firefighters used pet oxygen kits to help the rescued animals, including this cat.

MEDINA – A family of four was able to safely get out of a house fire overnight, with firefighters giving credit to a smoke detector for waking up the adults.

Firefighters were dispatched at 1:14 a.m. to West Oak Orchard St. Medina, Shelby and Lyndonville firefighters all responded.

The fire was put out in the living room and the scene was under control at 1:38 a.m., Medina Firefighter Steve Cooley said in a news release. The cause of the fire is deemed accidental, he said.

Firefighters also rescued two dogs and one cat. Shelby firefighters used pet oxygen kits to help the animals. Those kits were donated about a year ago by Wendi Pencille, a wildlife rehabilitator, and were used for the first time to save a pet late this morning.

The rescued cat was transported by Shelby firefighters to a 24-hour emergency veterinarian clinic in Buffalo.

“The latest information on all animals is that they are all doing well,” Cooley said.

The Red Cross also is assisting the family.

“It is extremely important to note that this family was asleep at the time of the fire,” Cooley said. “A properly installed smoke detector activated from the smoke coming from the living room and woke up the adults. The adults were able to grab both children and immediately crawl out of the structure.”

Return to top