New span in 1937 made Carlton community ‘The Bridges’
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
CARLTON – In this photo from 1937 we see the Route 18 bridge under construction over the Oak Orchard River in the town of Carlton.
The photographer pointed his lens looking directly east up to the incline when it was still all farmland.
This bridge changed the name of the community from “Two Bridges” to “The Bridges.”