National Grid gears up for freezing rain and ice over weekend
Press Release, National Grid
With the weekend weather forecast calling for strong winds, freezing rain and ice accumulation across much of National Grid’s upstate New York service area, the company has mobilized more than 1,300 line, service and tree workers and is prepared for the upcoming storm.
The company also is urging customers to be prepared and remain safe. If power outages result from the weather, the company offers the following safety tips for customers and the general public:
Electricity & Generator Safety
• If a power outage occurs, customers should call National Grid’s at 1-800-867-5222 to expedite restoration.
• Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger our crews and your neighbors.
• Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Downed lines should be immediately reported to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or by calling 911.
• Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642- 4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
• Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home.
• Please drive carefully and use caution when driving near any repair crews working to restore power.
• Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
• National Grid also advises staying tuned to local media for important announcements from emergency officials about possible evacuations or other emergency procedures. In most areas, information on storm shelter locations is available by calling 211.
National Grid offers several ways to stay informed and safe – before, during and after a storm:
• For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit the Outage Central section of www.nationalgridus.com. Customers who create an online profile on our website can also sign up for email alerts.
• To receive text message alerts and updates from National Grid, text the word STORM to NGRID (64743).
• Online and text alert services can be started and stopped at the customer’s request.