Medina trustees, mayor take the oath, make appointments
MEDINA – The village’s newly elected officials took the oaths of office on Monday – about six months later than planned.
Mayor Mike Sidari and Trustees Marguerite Sherman and Tim Elliott were all re-elected on Sept. 15. The village election was pushed back from March 18 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The new terms will last about 18 months instead of the usual 2 years.
Sidari is an active member of the Medina Fire Department. He is retired as the food service administrator for the Orleans Correctional Facility in Albion.
Sherman is a special education teacher at Medina. Elliott is co-owner of Brushstrokes Studios in Medina and other small businesses.
Sidari said the village is fortunate to have several active committees and volunteers spearheading projects, from a new dog park, upgraded skate park, overhaul to Pine Street Park, and many significant private investments.
On Monday the Boxwood Commission shared ideas to improve the cemetery, possibly with a pet cemetery section and also a columbarium, a structure with niches to hold funeral urns.
Sidari said the Commission is another group of citizens committed to making Medina a better place. The Commission’s proposal will be considered by the board in the coming months.
The mayor said some village committees need to reorganized. The board approved the following appointments:
• Parks Committee: Jessica Marciano, Kimberly Kennedy and Chris Goyette.
• Tree Board: Jacob Hebdon, Bob Sanderson, Nick Mroz, Lisa Tombari and Kathy Blackburn, who will be a temporary member of the Board while it gets restarted.
• Zoning Board of Appeals (terms through March 31, 2023): David Berry and Reinhard Rogowski.
• Planning Board (terms through March 31, 2025): John Dieter and Kathy Blackburn.
• Boxwood Cemetery Commission (terms through March 31, 2023): Gabrielle Barone and Jacob Hebdon.
• Tourism Committee (term through March 31, 2022): James Hancock.
Mayor Sidari also assigned trustee to different committees and urged them to be in contact with department heads at least once a week.
Trustees Owen Toale, Tim Elliott, Todd Bensley and Marguerite Sherman were assigned the following committees: Fire/Code, Toale and Elliott; Police/DPW, Sherman and Bensley; Employee Relations, Toale and Bensley; Clerk-Treasurer, Sidari; Town of Ridgeway, Bensley; Medina Area Partnership, Elliott; Boxwood Cemetery, Bensley; Tourism Committee, Sherman; Town of Shelby, Sherman; Orleans County, Toale; Joint Recreation, Toale and Elliott; and Waterfront Development Committee, Elliott.
Other appointments included:
• Deputy Mayor: Owen Toale
• Fair Housing Officer: Marguerite Sherman
• Village Historian: Todd Bensley
• Clerk-Treasurer: Deborah Padoleski
• Deputy Clerk-Treasurer: Jada Burgess
• Registrar: Deborah Padoleski
• Deputy Registrar: Jada Burgess
• Village Attorney: Matthew Brooks