Medina students once attended a school made of local sandstone
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
MEDINA – In this post card shot of Medina High School from around 1910 we see students leaving for the day.
The school was built in 1897 at a cost of $10,000 using Medina sandstone. In 1921, while classes were in session, the school was moved just a short distance farther west on South Academy Street.
That’s when a new high school facing east as the end of Pearl Street was built, using brick. The old sandstone school was used as an elementary building from 1923 to 1955 and later as the district offices.
In February 1967, a fire destroyed the interior and in the fall of 1967 the building was torn down to expand the parking lot.