Medina plans to pursue grant to light up 2 canal bridges
MEDINA – The Village Board intends to seek a state grant to add lights to two canal bridges, the spans on Horan Road and Glenwood Avenue.
Before the village seeks state funding to light up the bridges, the village first agreed to spend $3,500 to have Bergmann, a Rochester engineering and architectural firm, develop a concept plan and cost estimates for the lighting.
That plan will look at the best type of lights for the project and how they should be positioned on the bridges, which are both just over a century old.
The lights could be set up to display different colors to highlights events and holidays, said Mayor Mike Sidari.
Medina had a committee work on a Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan. That group concluded the initiative about two years ago.
Some of the recommendations in the LWRP include:
- elevated platform near the Medina Waterfalls so the public can get a better view of that attraction. The platform would go from the towpath and extend north.
- more trails in the community, allowing people to enjoy the water resources
- new lights on the canal bridges
- streetscape enhancements
- better signage at the four main entrances leading into the village
- façade improvements on the backs of buildings that face the canal. The LWRP lists a goal for more rear-facing faces patios, outdoor dining and awnings.
- improved public parking, in particular the large municipal lot by Church Street and East Center Street. That lot could be improved with its layout and appearance.
Village officials have said LWRP is a critical document for developing a plan, both short-term and long-term, for the waterfront and also to help Medina pursue public and private investment for projects to make the waterfront and nearby areas more attractive.
With the report from Bergmann, Mayor Sidari said Medina intends to apply for state funding for the lights on the bridges this year through the CFA (Consolidated Funding Application) process. Click here for more information on the CFA.