Medina FD contains overnight fire to a car in garage

Staff Reports Posted 24 January 2019 at 7:57 am

Firefighters credit smoke detectors for saving lives and property

MEDINA – Medina firefighters say smoke detectors were key in getting a quick response to a fire in a garage overnight.

The Medina Fire Department and police officers were dispatched at 3:33 a.m. today to 117 Eastview Drive for a carbon monoxide alarm activation with light smoke in the garage.

Police officers Fraiser and Gross arrived at 3:34 a.m. and reported heavy smoke showing from the garage. The officers moved the residents to a patrol vehicle and gained entry to the garage as Medina Engine 11 arrived on scene, the Medina Fire Department posted on its Facebook page.

Medina FD Lieutenant Young declared a working fire in the attached garage and requested the balance of the structure fire assignment be dispatched. Firefighters from the 4th Platoon made quick work of the fire and all mutual aid units were cancelled.

Fire damage was contained to one of the two vehicles parked inside the garage and that vehicle is a total loss. The second vehicle as well as the garage, its contents and the house are intact, only receiving some minor smoke damage.

Crews remained on scene until 5:20 a.m. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters during this incident. The fire is non-suspicious in nature and is currently under investigation by Medina Fire Department investigators.

“This incident highlights the vital importance of smoke detectors,” the Fire Department said. “Two lives were saved and over one hundred thousand dollars of property and contents were spared destruction because this house had smoke detectors properly placed throughout it.”

Return to top