Marsh Creek bridge was completed under budget in 1922
“Overlooked Orleans” – Volume 3, Issue 38
CARLTON – This photograph, taken in the summer of 1922, shows the construction of the bridge over Marsh Creek at “The Bridges” in Carlton. Originally known as “Two Bridges,” the span over Marsh Creek predates 1861 when a committee was put in place to explore the replacement of the bridge.
On November 29, 1861, Almanzor Hutchinson reported that $800 was available to replace the bridge over Marsh Creek and upon the motion of Mr. Abell, Daniel Howe was placed in charge of overseeing the replacement. The following day, for a reason unbeknownst to this historian, the Board of Supervisors released Daniel Howe from his responsibilities and authorized David Fuller to oversee the work.
The bridge faithfully served the community for nearly 44 years when the town of Carlton determined that the structure was in dire need of repairs. This 128-foot-long, 18.5-foot-wide span with a 16.5-foot-wide concrete surface was completed in August of 1922. The final cost to complete the bridge totaled $12,000, roughly $2,000 under budget.
The project was supervised by Carlton Highway Superintendent L. Waldo Callard, who was presented a generous gift of $100 in gold for completion of his responsibilities. William Wigley, a resident of the town for over 40 years, offered an address and presented the gift to Callard.
The opening of the bridge was a celebrated event throughout the community. Bernard Ryan was slated to address the crowds that gathered while a parade led residents across the bridge. Local newspapers reported that a wedding was to take place on the bridge as well, all before the day’s activities concluded with Carlton’s baseball championship between Waterport and Kent.
This image, looking south, shows the incomplete deck of the new span while three men work, a gentleman sits to observe the others working. It appears as though a child has sat down to observe the work as well; a man is laboring on the south side of the creek with steam equipment.