Lyndonville Lions replace worn-out flag at Alms House Cemetery in Albion
ALBION – The Lyndonville Lions recently replaced the well-worn American Flag that had flown over the Alms House Cemetery on Countyhouse Road in Albion. The Alms House served the destitute, indigent and infirmed community of Orleans County from 1833 to 1960.
The cemetery was essentially abandoned but was reclaimed and restored about a decade ago in a project spearheaded by Albion students.
The cemetery is the final resting place for about 250 individuals. The plots are marked with simple headstones, a numbered placard, or nothing at all. At present the maintenance is done by the Orleans County Department of Public Works.
Several years ago, a Lyndonville Lions Club member, with the help of the Orleans County Legislature had a flag pole donated and erected at the site to remember the individuals buried there. In remembrance of the people resting there, and the upcoming Memorial Day, the Lions of Lyndonville removed the old flag and replaced it with a new Stars and Stripes.