Lone Star Inn offered fine dining before it burned down in 1930
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – In this post card from the late 1920s, we see a view of the Lone Star Inn. It was originally a farm house for the Thurston family located on Gaines Basin Road across from it now the Orleans Correctional Facility.
In the early ’20s, Lewis Sands transformed this into a very fine restaurant where the elite dined. It was destroyed by fire in November 1930.
New York State then purchased the property and moved houses and barns onto the land, then using it as a state farm for the Albion State Training School.