Lighthouse Wind represents an opportunity for Yates to grow and not become a ghost town
To the Town of Yates residents, I would like to correct some statements that have been made about Apex and the Lighthouse Wind project.
I have been told “The wind project will do nothing for me or anyone else,” “The only ones that will benefit are the greedy landowners,” and “Apex will do nothing for this Town.”
Apex has already contributed monies in our community as well as other communities. Here are a few of the donations/sponsorships APEX has made:
1. Lighthouse Optimist Soccer League, donation to supply free hot dogs during soccer games for 2 years.
2. Donation for the fireworks on the 4th of July and had an information booth at the craft show for the past 2 years.
3. Donations to the Orleans and Niagara County fairs to help keep the admission cost low.
4. Hospice of Orleans golf tournament for 2 years.
5. Barker music boosters for costumes.
6. Order of the Eastern Star golf tournament. Sponsored 2 holes with part of the proceeds going to Veterans Hospital in Batavia.
7. Medina Central School – Destination of the Imagination. Sponsored 2 students travel and expenses to compete in the Global competition in Tennessee.
8. Donated funds for a baseball dugout in Lyndonville.
I ask each of you to take a moment to look back 40 years when the NYSEG power project was a big
issue. A number of people were against it. Our Town Board nipped it in the bud. So the project was put in Barker. Look what it did for them. Lower or no taxes, monetary help for the Town of Somerset, the Village of Barker, and the Barker School system. Thanks to our forefathers, we lost that one. Now we have another opportunity to help our town flourish. As Town residents are you willing to let this opportunity slip away too? I am not.
When the Lighthouse Wind project comes to the Town of Yates, we will receive monies to hopefully reduce, or eliminate, our Town taxes, build better roads, invite business to come here and give our children and grandchildren the opportunity to have a reason to stay here. It is pretty sad to have to go to Medina or elsewhere to shop for your groceries, clothes, Christmas shopping, etc.
Town of Yates residents: Take a good look at our Town. What do you see? Let us stand as a whole town and support the Lighthouse Wind Project. Let us not support SOS and their
inadequate information. Fight to help our town grow and not become a GHOST TOWN.
I urge all supporters of the wind project and those who really care about their town to step forward and make your voices heard.
Mr. Simon, Mr. Riggi – This is not all about you and what you want. You have one objective as Town of Yates officers – to represent only those against the wind project. The rest of us have no representation from you, otherwise you would take our concerns seriously.