Lew-Port gridders lead Barker/Roy-Hart when lightning halts play

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 5 September 2014 at 12:00 am

Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Josh Mead scores the first touchdown of the season for Barker/Roy-Hart during this evening’s game against Lew-Port at Middleport which was halted by lightning just before half-time.

Lew-Port erupted for three straight touchdowns in the second quarter to open up a 28-14 lead over Barker/Roy-Hart at Middleport this evening before lightning halted play in the B North Division season opener just before half-time.

The contest is scheduled to be completed at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Barker/Roy-Hart did jump out to an early lead as a 5 yard touchdown run by Josh Mead capped the home team’s opening drive. A 13 yard pass from quarterback Andy Xapsos to Tom Callaghan and an 11 yard run by Dominick Snider highlighted the home team’s season opening drive.

Lew-Port though answered right back with a 15 yard TD run by Qu’ran Brewer, a tally he set up himself with a big 32 yard run. Donald Allender added the tying extra point kick.

Barker/Roy-Hart did regain a 14-7 lead in the opening two minutes of the second quarter on a 5 yard TD run by Brandinlee Woods and an extra point kick by Xapsos. A  29 yard pass from Xapsos to Woods keyed the drive.

Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Barker/Roy-Hart’s Brandinee Woods (15) picks up yardage as Qu’ran Brewer tries to make the tackle for Lew-Port.

However, Lew-Port again answered back with not one but three straight scores.

Lew-Port pulled even at 14-14 on a 9 yard TD run by Brewer and a PAT kick by Allender.

The Lancers then moved on top for the first time at 21-14 on a 64 yard TD pass from Allender to Mike Fritz and a PAT kick by Allender.

Lew-Port then boosted the advantage to 28-14 just 34 seconds later on a 61 yard TD strike, again from Allender to Fritz and an PAT kick by Allender. The Lancers recovered a Barker/Roy-Hart fumble to set up that opportunity.

Lew-Port then got the ball right back again on a pass interception when lightning in the area caused officials to halt play with 1:48 to go in the half.