Legion used to meet at Main Street house in Albion
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – The Sheret Post No. 35 was granted a charter through the American Legion in July 1919. The group’s first post home was located on North Main Street in Albion in the house pictured here.
In 1924, the property was sold to Will Robson who razed the house and built the Rialto Theater on the site. The American Legion then used the second floor rooms in the theater building until the Legion moved to East Park Street.
In 1980 the Legion moved to its present location on South Main Street.
Editor’s note: Community Action is buying the Legion building to be used for the agency’s Main Street Store. The Legion will have use of the bar area for another 18 months.