Find us on Facebook

Kendall man sentenced to jail and probation in CO poisoning deaths

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 8 October 2019 at 11:31 am

KENDALL – The caretaker of a house where two of the tenants died from carbon monoxide poisoning was sentenced to 60 days in jail and 3 years of probation.

David Wiley Jr.

David Wiley Jr., 40, pleaded guilty in April to reckless endangerment following the April 18, 2018 deaths of Joan C. Gilman, 38, and her son, Richard J. Gilman Jr., 14.

Wiley was sentenced on Monday by Kendall Town Justice David Gaudioso.

The mother and son lived in a duplex at 2245 Center Rd. Wiley also lived in a separate apartment in the house.

When the electricity was cut from the house, Wiley set up the generator in the garage on April 16, 2018. It was directly below the living space of his neighbors in apartment B. Joan Gilman and her son Richard were found deceased in an upstairs bedroom on April 18.

An autopsy showed extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in their system.

The power had been turned off at the site after the bill wasn’t paid. Wiley, as caretaker of the property, was responsible for paying the bill to National Grid, Undersheriff Chris Bourke said soon after Wiley’s arrest.

Since the deaths of Joan and Richard Gilman, the community has rallied to install smoke and carbon detectors. The Kendall Fire Department, Kendall Lions Club and American Red Cross have teamed to make sure every house in Kendall that needs smoke and carbon monoxide detectors have them.

The groups have worked together and have put new detectors in about 200 homes in Kendall. The Red Cross has donated 600 smoke detectors, while the Kendall Lions Club gave $5,000 towards the purchase of the 200 CO detectors. The Kendall Fire Department also paid towards the CO detectors which cost $31 each. Rochester Gas & Electric also contributed $750.

Return to top