Kendall has grief counselors at school after death of student
KENDALL – The school district has trauma and grief counselors available today and Friday following the death of Richard J. Gilman Jr., 14, and his mother, Joan C. Gilman. They were discovered Wednesday evening in an upstairs bedroom, deceased after a propane gas leak at 2245 Center Rd.
The Sheriff’s Office said that electrical power had been turned off at the duplex a few days ago and a portable generator was being used along with some propane powered appliances, Undersheriff Chris Bourke said.
“It is with great sadness that I share the news of the sudden death of one of our students, Richard (RJ) Gilman Jr., and his mother, Joan,” Julie Christensen, superintendent of Kendall Central School, said in a statement on the district website. “RJ was a ninth grade student at Kendall Junior/Senior High School (JSHS). He displayed an infectious sense of humor and an endearing personality.”
Counselors will be at the school today and Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. If people need support after these hours, they are encouraged to contact the Orleans County Mental Health Care and Crisis Hotline at 585-344-4400.
“Each one of us copes with loss and grief differently,” Christensen said.
The district also has posted strategies to cope with loss (click here).