Jeweler in 1890 was creative with advertising
By Bill Lattin, Orleans County Historian
ALBION – This picture was taken around 1890 and shows the F.W. Butler jewelry store on Main Street in Albion.
This was located in the third store up from the four corners in the Royce Block at the southeast corner.
Arthur D. Bliss and Fred W. Butler are standing in the doorway. Note the advertising including the wooden pedestal sign made to look like a watch. The hands were painted at 8:20 to commemorate the time when Lincoln was shot.
Spectacles are also seen here to advertise eyeglasses. Watches, clocks and plated silverware fill the display window.