In Albion, statue of Mary is WWII memorial
Photos by Tom Rivers
The statue of Mary on the sandstone base with a bronze plaque is a memorial for Orleans County residents who died in World War II. That statue is located in front of the Catholic rectory at the corner of Main and West Park streets.
ALBION – She has stood at the corner of Main and West Park streets for nearly seven decades, but most people may not realize the statue of Mary is part of a World War II Memorial.
The statue stands on a sandstone base with a bronze plaque that declares “For God and Country: In sacred memory of our soldiers and sailors who made the supreme sacrifice.”
The memorial was dedicated on May 25, 1947. It includes a verse from John 15:13:
“Greater love than this no one has, than one lay down his life for his friends.”
The back of the statue in the lower left corner bears the name Kaletta Studios, St. Louis, Missouri. It is marked as number 480 from 1947.