In 1904, Swan Library was missing prominent neighbors
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – In this picture from 1904 we see a great view of Main Street in Albion looking north from State Street.
The Swan Library, which opened in 1900, prominently shows here. Odd Fellows had not yet built their temple next to the library. The temple was erected in 1907.
Likewise, the BL & R Trolley Depot behind the library had not yet been built. That occurred in 1908.
Main Street was still unpaved, yet we see improved cross walks. A number of hitching posts appear down the street, most of which are cast iron.
The first house down the street from the library was torn down in 1924 when Will Robson built the Rialto Theatre. Albion got electric street lights in 1890 and we see one of these hanging off cables in the upper left corner of our picture.