Holley ‘Five to Revive’ banner on old school
HOLLEY – When the debut list of “Five to Revive” came out in May, featuring sites in the Rochester area in desperate need of improvement, the old Holley High School made the list.
Today, the village Department of Public Works put a banner on the old school, noting its place on the Five to Revive.
The Landmark Society of Western New York in May announced the list of five properties in need of investment.
“Whether buildings, landscapes or structures, they are significant historic properties whose rehabilitations can become catalytic projects for the neighborhoods and communities that surround them,” the Landmark Society stated then.
Landmark Society staff picked the five sites, calling them “irreplaceable historic resources.” The Landmark Society offered to work collaboratively with owners, municipal officials and developers to facilitate investment and foster rehabilitation so that these structures can again play an active role in their communities.
In addition to the Holley school, the Landmark Society picked the following as Five to Revive: the Pulaski Library, 1151 Hudson Ave., Rochester; Former Eastman Dental Dispensary, 800 Main St., Rochester; Pedestrian Bridges in Genesee Valley Park, Rochester; Sampson Theatre, 130-136 East Elm St., Penn Yan.
The Holley school is located at the corner of routes 31 and 237. It was last used about three decades ago by Liftec Manufacturing, which went bankrupt. The site was last used as a school in the early 1970s.
The Landmark Society said the former school is a highly visible anchor in a historic Erie Canal village.
“Its notable historic and architectural significance, combined with its prominent location and scale of design, make it an important candidate for rehabilitation and re-use after nearly 30 years of vacancy,” according to the Landmark Society.
For more on the Five to Revive, click here.