Holley public library will tackle $100K project

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 9 February 2021 at 9:18 am

State paying 75% of project to reinforce wall, upgrade lighting and doors

File photo by Tom Rivers: Sandra Shaw, director of the Community Free Library in Holley, holds a puppet at the library’s puppet theatre in this photo from February 2016. The library will be upgrading a wall, lighting and the front doors at the site.

HOLLEY – The Community Free Library will be upgrading the site at 86 Public Square with a $100,000 project.

The public library has been approved for a $75,000 state library construction grant, said Sandra Shaw, director of the Community Free library.

That will pay 75 percent of the cost to reinforce a wall in 110-year-old building, replace lighting and put in two sets of handicapped accessible doors, one for the front entrance and the other inside the foyer. The library will pay the other 25 percent of the expense.

The wall that will get needed attention is on the back side of the children’s library. A contractor, Tower Construction of Albion, will be excavating, digging a trench and then replacing some of the brick in the wall that had disintegrated, Shaw said.

Tower will rebuild part of the wall, reinforce it and put on waterproofing sealant.

The two sets of doors will be enabled with push buttons. They will make it easier for people in wheelchairs, walkers or who have children in strollers, Shaw said.

“We want to do anything we can to help our patrons get in and out of the building,” she said.

Jedamski Electric will replace the electric fixtures and put in energy-efficient LED lights. Shaw said that will reduce the library’s ongoing electricity costs.

She expects the electric work will be started in about two months and the work on the exterior wall getting started in late spring or summer.