Find us on Facebook

Fundraisers set up after Albion teacher’s Hamlin home burned on Saturday night

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 9 July 2018 at 11:10 am

HAMLIN – An Albion teacher’s home was destroyed by fire on Saturday night, two weeks after she and her family moved in.

Deanna Richardson, a first grade teacher at the Ronald L. Sodoma Elementary School, had just settled into a new home on Monroe-Orleans County Line Road. She lives with her fiancé Ben Moore and their two children.

Richardson told WHAM she suspects sparklers that the kids were playing with likely started the fire. The family thought the sparklers had been completely extinguished. A fire broke out about 10 p.m.

Everyone was able to get outside safely, including two dogs. However, they lost their possessions, including Moore’s military memorabilia and their daughter Hannah’s medication for type 1 diabetes.

A GoFundMe has been established to assist the family. In addition, there will be a fundraiser today at Jimmy Z’s restaurant in Brockport from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., with 20 percent of a food order going directly toward the family. There will also be a jar for people to make donations.

Return to top