Fuller says he’s worked with Shelby officials to improve the town on many projects
This letter is being written in response to Mr. Root’s Letter to the Editor dated October 29, 2019, accusing me of having a “fractured relationship” with the Shelby Town Board.
I have done everything the Town Board has asked of me (and then some) as the Town of Shelby Highway Superintendent for the last 14 years. In addition, I have accomplished the following:
• Oversaw the multi-agency Shelby, Ridgeway and Medina $2.5 million Bates Road Reconstruction Project, working daily with engineers, approving changes, modifications and signing off on all pay estimate paperwork. This project was successful, as evident by the current growth of our Medina Business Park.
• Worked with the Town Board and DEC on the remediation of the contaminated soil at the old town property on Maple Ridge Road by making a bio-cell, saving taxpayers $90,000-plus, so that Aldi’s could acquire the property.
• Worked with the Town Board and employees as we assumed the responsibilities of operating two private cemeteries (Millville and Mount Pleasant), saving the taxpayers $50,000 per year.
• At the request of the Town Board, I personally oversee the storage, packaging and shipping of the Orleans County e-waste site, located at the Town of Shelby building.
• Along with the Town Board, I have utilized students from the Iroquois Job Corps trade school to paint the Clerk’s offices and the masonry students to repair the stone head wall at the Shelby Center cemetery.
• Along with the Town Board, I have utilized personnel from the Orleans County Sheriff’s Department Alternatives to Incarceration Program to paint fire hydrants and pick up roadside debris, several times in the past 14 years.
• Along with the Town Board, I acquired the help of the New York State Department of Corrections inmates to paint the entire outside of the Town of Shelby building, and the inside of the truck bay area.
There are facts that the taxpayers need to know about me, that go above and beyond what my opponent is can do:
• I have established working relationships with other municipalities to foster shared services within our county. My opponent does not have these relationships.
• I have over 40 years of experience handling rural snowplowing operations, including the Blizzard of ’77 and several other major snowstorms. It has been my goal to keep our residents safe, especially during the winter months.
• I have knowledge and expertise on rural road building and repair that I have acquired from years of service working with the former Superintendent and by attending Cornell Local Road Schools.
• I am currently certified as a Class C and D New York State Department of Health Water Systems Operator, which is mandated in order to provide water to our residents.
I take my job very seriously and work within a tight budget to maintain our roads and cemeteries. Our roads are safe. Our cemeteries are well maintained. Our municipalities have a great working relationship with each other.
If you would like this to continue, I would appreciate your vote for re-election on Nov. 5.
Michael O. Fuller
Town of Shelby Highway Superintendent