Food distributions return next week
Food distributions will be back next week in Orleans County after there weren’t any of the events this week. The food is available at no charge to the community.
The Cornell Cooperative Extension will host USDA Farmers-to-Families Food Box Distribution events on July 8 and July 22. The Extension will be distributing 1,200 boxes of produce.
There also will be Foodlink distributions with three boxes of food per vehicle on the Fridays from July 10 through July 31. The three boxes are perishable items of produce, dairy and cooked meat.
Some of the Foodlink product is from the federal USDA’s new initiative called CFAP (Coronavirus Food Assistance Program). In this program, distributors who would normally serve schools, restaurants, and municipal programs are able to pre-pack boxes of perishable product and deliver to distributions being done all over the country, said Melissa Blanar, OFA director in Orleans County.
The July drive-through distribution schedule includes:
- July 8: Produce distribution at 4-H Fairgrounds in Knowlesville – 10 a.m. until gone
- July 10: Community Action’s Main Street Store in Albion, across from Hoag Library – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- July 17: Medina Calvary Cupboard with new location at Medina Central School District – 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (Enter off of West Oak Orchard Street from Main Street or West Avenue. Entry is at the Oak Orchard Elementary School, signs will be posted. No lines before 8 a.m.)
- July 22: Produce distribution at 4-H Fairgrounds in Knowlesville – 10 a.m. until gone
- July 24: Community Action’s Main Street Store in Albion – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- July 31: Holley at a location to be determined – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.