Find us on Facebook

Firefighters battle blizzard to put out chimney fire in Gaines

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 12 March 2014 at 3:15 pm

Photos by Tom Rivers

GAINES – Firefighters quickly put out a chimney fire this afternoon at a house owned by Bill and Anne Downey at 13506 Ridge Rd., in the town of Gaines. The call went out at about 1:45 p.m.

Firefighters are taking the cap off the top of the chimney and they will run a chain through the chimney to clear debris and fire hazards.

Dan Strong of the Carlton Fire Company walks down Ridge Road at about 2 p.m. when he joined other firefighters at a chimney fire.

Firefighters said they had a good turnout for an afternoon call when many firefighters typically are at work. Many were home today due to the blizzard and were available to respond to the call.

Al Cheverie and his son Andrew of the Albion Fire Department were among the firefighters who responded to the call in a blizzard this afternoon in Gaines.