Find us on Facebook

Fire causes heavy damage to Kendall home

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 22 December 2015 at 3:35 pm

Photos by Tom Rivers

KENDALL – A fire caused heavy damage to a Kendall home on Creek Road this afternoon. The top photo shows a firefighter trying to ventilate the back of the house to let the smoke out.

The house at 17248 Creek Rd. is owned by Joe and Lisa Stephens. Mr. Stephens said it appears the fire started in the laundry room and quickly spread.

No one was injured in the fire, which filled the house with heavy smoke.

Mrs. Stephens had Christmas presents bought and wrapped for family, including grandkids, and those gifts were likely ruined from the fire.

The Stephens family declined assistance from the Red Cross, saying other people are more in need.

Firefighters from several fire companies in eastern Orleans and western Monroe counties responded to the fire, which started at about 1:30 p.m.

Firefighters let out smoke and sprayed water into the house to keep any hot spots from igniting and spreading.