Fire broke out at Albion school in 1913
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – Early on the morning of May 8, 1913, a fire broke out on the fourth floor of the Albion High School on East Academy Street.
As we see in this photo, extensive damage was caused by a Bunsen burner which had been left on overnight in the chemistry lab. Albion firemen are seen in this picture putting out the fire.
The high school was built in 1906. After a new high school was built on East Avenue in 1932, the older building became the Albion Grammar School. This fine Medina Sandstone structure remains today as an apartment building for senior citizens with the first floor used for the Meals on Wheels and Nutri-fair programs.