Donor of window at church went on to marry pharmaceutical giant
By Bill Lattin, Orleans County Historian
HOLLEY – In this window from St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Holley we see St. Paul the Apostle holding a book and pointing upward.
The window was given in 1894 when the church was built. At the bottom it states: “Presented by Evangeline A. Johnson A.D. 1894.” Mrs. Johnson was a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Edwin Armstrong of Holley who were among the first members of St. Paul’s Church.
In 1892 Evangeline married Robert Wood Johnson of the famed pharmaceutical company known as Johnson & Johnson.
Editor’s Note: The Cobblestone Society Museum in Gaines is currently featuring an exhibit, “Medicine at the Museum,” that includes several Orleans County ties to pharmaceutical and medical research, including Johnson’s. That exhibit will be on display until Oct. 13.