Find us on Facebook

Dog, 2 calves died in Ridgeway fire

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 7 January 2015 at 12:00 am

Photos by Tom Rivers

RIDGEWAY – The fire at a milking parlor on Tuesday morning killed a pregnant dog and two calves, fire investigator Walter Batt said today.

The dog was inside the milking parlor and was due to soon give birth. Farm owner Marcus Miller used a heat lamp to try to keep the dog warm.

The dog was contained inside by 4-by-8-foot sheets of OSB (Oriented Strand Boards). Batt said the lamp caught the OSB boards on fire.

The milking parlor was a total loss and was removed on Tuesday afternoon. Miller and the Amish community already have started to frame a new milking parlor that Miller said he hopes to have up and running in about three weeks. His herd of 45 cows all survived the fire and will be milked at a neighbor’s farm until the new parlor is ready.